This has probably been written about before but have you tried Netflix for your anime fix? A while back I was thrilled that so much anime was coming out on DVD for sale. After stocking up on DVD’s I realized I couldn’t afford to keep buying them. Renting them seemed like a good idea but local rental stores’ selection was paltry at best. I turned to rental by mail and Netflix has proven to be a great solution.
Initially I tried Blockbuster and Netflix at the same time for 3 months. Netflix had better selection, faster delivery and their customer service wasn’t actively trying to annoy me (unlike Blockbuster’s customer service). The selection is incredible and I can watch my anime the way I like it – subtitled. For $15 a month you can have two rentals out at once. I just finished the first Patlabor OAV series and have now started Tekkaman Blade. If supplemented with BitTorrent (more on that later), Netflix can meet a mecha fan’s need for anime quite nicely. They don’t only carry newer anime. There is a large selection of older stuff as well.
- Even in a remote, God-forsaken corner of the country like north Idaho there’s a Netflix center near enough to send and receive DVD’s in only one day.
- Anime selection is great.
- A selection of rental plans keeps things affordable and flexible.
- The Watch Instantly service is no additional charge and lets you watch anime when you’re inbetween rentals.
- Netflix is closed on Saturday and Sunday.
- The Watch Instantly service has a smaller selection of anime than the mail service.
- Watch Instantly is dubbed only with no subtitles or Japanese audio tracks available.
So if you haven’t already, give Netflix a try. I’m certainly enjoying it.
Have you tried Netflix for your anime?
- Yes. It was great! (67%, 2 Votes)
- Yes. Hated it. (33%, 1 Votes)
- No but plan to. (0%, 0 Votes)
- No. It's not for me. (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 3